Monday, June 1, 2009

California Rolls

I love California Rolls. Several years ago my husband and I attempted to make our own - needless to say that was a sticky messy disaster.

While visiting my husbands parents in California last summer my mother in law showed me how to make California Rolls - the right way. She made it look so easy so I was excited to attempt this on my own again.

It was a success. I am now a California Rolling Pro!



Now, I make these every few months and as an added bonus (almost) all my kids like these also!

You know what the best part about eating California Rolls? The Wasabi! There is just something thrilling about using a little too much wasabi, burning your nose and watching everyone's facial expressions. It's definitely a fun way of living life on the edge.

Money wise, buying all the ingredients for making California Rolls can be a little expensive. Especially because these are items that never go on sale and rarely have coupons. By the time you buy the sushi rice, seaweed, avocado, crab meat, cucumber, rice wine vinegar, wasabi and soy sauce you can easily spend $15 buck-a-roos - or more! However, you wont need to spend this each time you make them because not every time you will need to buy rice wine vinegar, wasabi, seaweed, or rice. Then if you wait until the other ingredients go on sale you can save money that way also.

Another way to save money on this expensive snack is by writing to Louis Kemp or Trans Ocean and request coupons. I've done this a few times and they have always been more than happy to send a few my way. The same for Kikkoman Soy Sauce.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to learn how to make these- I have wasabi paste, seaweed wrappers, rice vinegar, and soy sauce in the pantry already with the intent on making our own. (It never happened!) Do you buy a special kind of rice called "sushi" rice, or is it just a specific variety? Also, do you use one of those bamboo mat roller-thingies when you make yours?

bestparenting said...

Hello...
I'm Indonesian, so this is less popular in our country.But...likely it's delicious.Please to share this good recipe, even though a different country ...

Controlling My Chaos said...

These look yummy. Are you going to share the recipe and technique?

Anonymous said...

I'm the mother-in-law and will check to see if One Mom, Five Kids
has the recipe. The rice is the only tricky part but not hard.

 
ss_blog_claim=15fc83e6d1f065dca6d5efd98752e3ab